Monday, January 2, 2017

December Favorites

Happy New Year all! I hope your New Year's Eve was fun (but hopefully not too much fun, if you know what I mean). Mine was super duper chill. I just stayed home with my family, ate junk food, and watched the ball drop in my PJ's, which happen to be one of my favorites this past month.

I'm usually not one to conform to trends or tags, but I am making an exception in this case. I just have so many cool things I want to share with you that I decided to give myself some grace, and allow my creative juices some rest. Don't worry, I won't do any other trendy things; I'm way too hipster for that. So, without anymore waffling on, let's get into the favorites.



Sewing
For those of you who follow my twitter account, you will know that I have been working on a quilt. It's actually a t-shirt quilt, which I'll probably be posting about at some point. Anyways, I've been working on this quilt for a while. And two weeks before Christmas, I took a break from my quilt to sew some gifts for my family. I have had quite a month of sewing, and although it has certainly been frustrating (I swear this machine has it out for me), I've enjoyed the overall process more than I thought I would. Sewing gave me the opportunity to finish something, something tangible, and I really needed that little accomplishment in my life right now. If you have a sewing machine, I highly recommend making something. Go on Pinterest or to the library and find a pattern you like and you think you can do. Don't worry about whether your technique will be correct or if it will turn out like the picture; you'll learn all you need to along the way. It's all about the process.



Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa
I could have just put hot cocoa, but I really mean the Swiss Miss hot cocoa. Something about this faithful classic just makes the Christmas season more festive and winter that much more cozy. I've had hot cocoa pretty much everyday since Thanksgiving and I've absolutely loved it. I've been on a bit of a hot cocoa detox for the past week so that it doesn't get completely ruined for me. But I will definitely be reintroducing hot cocoa into my diet soon and I'm excited to start my mornings cozy and right.



Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Hydrating Lotion with Frankincense and Myrrh 
I received this as a birthday present, but I hadn't gotten to using it until about a month and a half ago. I'm so glad I waited to use it because it literally smells like Christmas. I don't know how, considering I've never smelled or seen frankincense and myrrh before, but the first time I put it on, I felt so ready for Christmas, you don't even knoooowww :)



Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse with Silk Protein & Neem Oil
I also received this mousse as a birthday present and I'm so glad I did. I have thick curly hair and I usually use the Herbal Essences super curl mousse (the one in the purple canister). The Herbal Essences helped define my curl, but it was so thick and kind of sticky, that it weighted down my hair and didn't encourage the formation of curls. The first time I used the Shea Moisture mousse, I was shocked at how many curls I had on my head and how voluminous my hair was. The only downside to this mousse is that it doesn't keep down the frizz as much as you would except. To fix this, I usually put the teeniest-tiniest bit of the Herbal Essences mousse in my hair after putting on the Shea Moisture mousse, and BAM! Nearly perfect curls. If you have thick curly hair, 10/10 recommend. 



Peaches and Dreams Robe & Star+Skye PJ's
I received both of these as Christmas presents, and I've been wearing them everyday, all day since. They are the softest, cutest, coziest PJ's to ever exist. They are the only reason why I want to eat healthy and exercise this New Year, so I won't get too big for them. The only downside is the PJ pants. Whoever designed these forgot that women have hips, so it's kind of a wiggle struggle to get them over your hips. If you're thinking of getting a pair, get them one size up from what you normally wear. But other than that little glitch, these PJ's are perfect; they're the kind of PJ's that make you feel all put together and like your life is just so.



Read Scripture App by Crazy Love Ministries and the Bible Project
My sister challenged me and the whole family to use this app along with her. It's an app that organizes the Bible in a way that you read through the whole Bible in a year, in a logical order. There are also videos throughout the reading that explain the upcoming reading section in light of the overarching story of the Bible. Additionally, they include a Psalm each day, for daily encouragement. I've always had trouble reading and focusing on my Bible; I've especially had trouble making it a part of my daily routine. Over the past three months, I've gotten better, but having this guided reading plan, with interesting videos that make the Bible seem more real and less overwhelming, has certainly helped me make Bible reading more routine. I'm actually excited to read the Bible and finish my section for the day. If you are a task oriented person and have trouble making Bible reading routine, I would definitely recommend this app for you, especially if your New Year's resolution is to read your Bible more (which has been mine for at least five years).

Well, that's all the favs for this month. I hope some of these recommendations are helpful for you. Let me know in the comments what you think you'll try or if you've used any of these favorites and what your experience has been. See you on Thursday!

k,bye.

0 comments: